Time limit for the applicant to deposit the fees in 6(1)

Dr vasudev jahagirdar

Question

Hi ,I’m PIO in govt institution,an applicant sought some information in 2013 under rti 2005 sec 6(1) , for which i wrote him within30 days, to deposit certain amount to get the certified copies of the information he sought . But he deposited the required amount in june 2021 and asked for the information .!! 
my query is ,is it permissible to take so much long to time to submit the fees under rti ?? can i deny the information as he is not deposited the fees within 30 days ?? . Plz provide the any rules under rti regarding this issue 

thanking u 

3 answers to this question

Ignore technical errors, as the act has not prescribed any time limit for depositing such fees in specific.  A PIO can deny information only as per exemptions under Sec.8 (1) with justification.  Even if you return the fees, you have to ask him to file a fresh application.  Be liberal as information has to be provided  now or after some days, once it was admitted that information will be provided on payment of fees.

(There is no such reason for denial of information stating delay in submission of fees under RTI Act)

Remember that the fees from date of application to demand of fees + days of delay in providing certified copies  after receiving fees exceeds 30 days, the information has to be provided free of cost.

Edited by Prasad GLN

10 hours ago, Prasad GLN said:

Ignore technical errors, as the act has not prescribed any time limit for depositing such fees in specific.  A PIO can deny information only as per exemptions under Sec.8 (1) with justification.  Even if you return the fees, you have to ask him to file a fresh application.  Be liberal as information has to be provided  now or after some days, once it was admitted that information will be provided on payment of fees.

(There is no such reason for denial of information stating delay in submission of fees under RTI Act)

Remember that the fees from date of application to demand of fees + days of delay in providing certified copies  after receiving fees exceeds 30 days, the information has to be provided free of cost.

Thanks for reply,

But the delay is from his side and the process of PIO should complete within 30 days rt? He is employee of same institution and a litigant type person.if required he cannot go for first appeal because he has to file it with in 90 days after my reply 🤔

We focus in positive manner and not on trivial technical issues.  When PIO received the fee in Jun,21, now thinking to return it after 28th Jul, and deny information for delay  in payment of fees is not proper.

If I am an applicant I will file fresh application with that fees and enclose the copy of  demand letter of PIO.  If that information is not provided within 30 days in total I will file complaint and seek information free of any fees.

First appeal is possible only if information is denied or if applicant is not satisfied with information.  When PIO demanded fees, it is concluded that information is available and copies will be provided on receiving such charges. 

Please go through my reply once again..  Allegations against applicant is not relevant in your post.  The PIO is supposed to either provide information or deny information stating such exemption section and justification for applying that section.  It is not proper on the part of PIO to make comments against applicant, when once the fees demanded or received and seeking guidance for rejecting copies.

Edited by Prasad GLN