Shrawan

Evaluated Answer scripts are not confidential: A landmark judgement

maneesh

If this is going to be the order of the day then exmination commitee may include this as a fee for seeing the copy of the answer sheet. Unless it is made serious it will alway lead to dispute as there is nothing like a right answer in subjective type questions.

May be we moving towards the erra of Obejective type examination like SAT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT. As there is not subjective element in such examination.

brijeshbhatt

Thaks Kaushal and Maneesh

I agree with Maneesh's view.

I would like to say that RTI is working and people are getting their due rights at this point of time this is the happiest thing, since this Law is evolving it has its own complications and contradictions but sooner or later it will address common man's all issues.

sadgamaya

Hi all

Here is the latest order from central information commission saying that evaluated answer sheets are not confidential.

Regards

Sadgamaya

Decision_22082007_05.pdf

smnislam

I agree wiyh mr brijeshbhat. the law is still evolving and after the initial hiccups will settle down for the benifit of both the parties. however one thing is claer that evaluated answer books of the candidate is to be provided to him/her, if not of other candidates for the present.

having objective type questions will further resolve the problem

Charufun

can you provide the full details of this order and from where can i get this.

THANKS

ganpat1956

Charu, please go through the attachment to post #5 above.

sadgamaya

It is really a good judgement. Whether KIC has ordered for the disclosure of answer scripts of others also?..Whether anybody can upload a copy of the order?

sadgamaya

If possible please send a copy of the order.

advocate rajesh

will it be applicable on other state commission or the other states can have their independent decision .In Haryana they are not allowing the answer sheets and quote Commission decision.

sadgamaya

Definitely other state commissions has to follow this.Already there is a central information commission order directing the disclosure of answer sheets. Please see my previous post dated 12.11.2007 for seeing the copy of CIC order.

sadgamaya

Once again a land mark judgement. A judgement which allows disclosure of answer scripts of others also. Central Information Commission has ordered for allowing to inspect the answer sheet of others in a case filed by Shri. Mohsin against department of education. A copy of the order is enclosed here with.

Mohsin-Disclosure of answersheet.pdf

advocate rajesh

sir this is a very good judgment and will help lot person in future. Thanks

advocate rajesh

copy of KIC judgment it is urgent Please

advocate rajesh

Kushal Ji can I have the copy of KIC Judgment it is urgent

msrgdadhich

Dear all,

tell me in my case what to do next,

Highcourt has refused with the following words:

The information sought by you is not desirable to be revealed out.

Please suggest me what should I do in this matter as i have no option left as this was my last chance to get a government job, i am at the verge to commit suicide if not .

please help

smnislam

please elucidate the information sought

msrgdadhich

i have sought the certified copies of exam papers of both of written as well as of skill test, Stenography of my and the candidates selected in test.

please help me out treating it urgent.

manish

XXXXXXXXXX

sandeepbaheti
i have sought the certified copies of exam papers of both of written as well as of skill test, Stenography of my and the candidates selected in test.

please help me out treating it urgent.

manish

XXXXXXXXXX

If you have already filed your RTI application just wait for 30-35 days for the reply. If you need any help with getting the information please let us know your specific problem.

smnislam

As per the current decisions f the CIC, evry candidate can have a copy of the evaluated answer scripts along with model answers to objectve type questions of his/hers. tahe candidate can see the copies of other candidates also. This is in respect ofdepartmental exams. In case of competitive exams conducted by UPSC etc. the decisions are slightly different.

dillip kumar mohapatra

It is a landmark judgment.It will help others to ask.

indrasinh

can anyone provide a copy of the judgement passed by the Karnataka Information Commission

praveenkat

Yeah, This will be useful...

Regards

Praveen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Shrawan
      By Shrawan
      In a landmark judgement Central Information Commission in a full bench ordered Union Public Service Commission to disclose the marks assigned to each of the applicants for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2006 in General Studies and in Optional Papers & also disclose the cut-off marks fixed in respect of the General Studies paper and in respect of each of the Optional Papers and if no such cut-off marks are there, it shall disclose the subject-wise marks assigned to short-listed candidates

The UPSC shall, within two weeks from the date of this order, disclose the marks assigned to each of the applicants for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2006 in General Studies and in Optional Papers; and
      The UPSC, within two weeks from the date of this order, shall also disclose the cut-off marks fixed in respect of the General Studies paper and in respect of each of the Optional Papers and if no such cut-off marks are there, it shall disclose the subject-wise marks assigned to short-listed candidates; and
      The UPSC shall examine and consider under Section 8(1) (d) of the RTI Act the disclosure of the scaling system as it involves larger public interest in providing a level playing field for all aspirants and shall place the matter before the Competent Authority within one month from the date of this order. This will also cover the issue of disclosure of model answers, which we recommend should in any case be made public from time to time. In doing so, it shall duly take into account the provisions of Section 9 of the RTI Act.
      The appeal was filed asking for:

Total marks scored by the appellant in written papers as well as interview should be disclosed.
      The procedure and the technique that are followed to determine the cut-off point (or level of score of marks) to draw the line between successful candidates and others should be disclosed for each category of aspirants.
      Since the action relating to determination and application of cut-off point being an extremely critical factor in life and career of a person should fall under public domain, the information sought should be furnished since the matter is complete and over.
      On the grievance that the Selection Committee was not properly composed, there is no provision in the RTI Act for redress of such grievance. However, in order to ensure that persons of high caliber and integrity are associated with the process of selection, the composition of such Boards/Committees should be made public after the entire process of selection is over. Some of the Civil Service aspirants who have appeared for the Civil Services preliminary examination, 2006, including one Shiv Shambhu and many other applicants applied to the UPSC seeking the following information:

Separate cut-off marks for General Studies and for every optional
      subject for different categories such as General, OBC, SC/ST and PH;
      Details of marks obtained by each candidate;
      Model answers for each series of every subject;
      Reasons behind re-conducting
      UPSC consults the subject experts, designs the questions papers, and takes model answers in respect of each of such question papers. The question papers, which are prepared by subject experts for UPSC in a particular manner, are original literary works and as such copyright in respect thereto vests in the UPSC. Since this literary work has been done by the subject experts on behalf of the UPSC, it can legitimately claim copyrights thereof and can thereby restrict its circulation or can exclude others from circulating it. Since copyrights are part of Intellectual Property right, which is covered under Section 8(1) (d) of the Right to Information Act, this Commission cannot order its disclosure. Under Section 8 (1) of the RTI Act, the UPSC, therefore, has no obligation to disclose any such material unless it is satisfied that larger public interest warrants the disclosure of such information.

The decision agreed to by the Full Bench is announced by the Chief Information Commissioner on this the 13th day of November 2006.
    • Shrawan
      By Shrawan
      Getting to see their corrected answer sheets on demand looks possible for Calcutta University (CU) students, thanks to Right to Information (RTI).

The state information commission on Tuesday directed the university to show a former student his evaluated answer script. The student was unhappy with his marks in the B.Com Part II Accountancy (Honours) examination of 2006.

The commission, however, added that the university should protect the identity of the examiner and scrutinizer who marked the answer script.

The university syndicate on Wednesday decided unanimously to accept the commission’s directive. Suranjan Das, pro vice-chancellor (academic affairs), said that the university was ready to show the student his script.

Utsav Dutta, the petitioner, now an MBA student in New Delhi, said: “When the results came out in July 2006, I found I had fared badly in some papers.” He contacted the university, which okayed a scrutiny, but turned down his request to show him the answer script. “I moved high court, which directed the university to show me the script. But the university cited internal problems.”

In September, Dutta filed a petition using the RTI clause. “But I still failed to get it and then moved the commission.”

The commissioner summoned the CU registrar, who acts as the university’s principal information officer (PIO), and directed him to provide Dutta with the data.

Initially, the university officials said such disclosures were exempted under the RTI. The commission held another hearing in early December.

“After that, we directed the PIO to disclose the information, as it does not come under the exempted category,” said Arun Bhattacharyya, information commissioner.

Dutta, who lost a semester in MBA because he was not issued a marksheet, is yet to receive any communication from the university.

The directive may have far-reaching implications. “Since this will set a precedent, more students may approach us. We are considering guidelines for showing scripts to undergraduates and steps are being taken to preserve the scripts,” said pro vice-chancellor Das.

About 20 lakh undergraduate answer scripts are examined every year.

“The CU authorities and examiners will now be alert, as they can at last be made answerable,” said M. Bhattacharjee, an activist of the RTI Manch in the state.

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Metro

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy