Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

hopeindiafoundation

hopeindiafoundation

Hi all,

RTI India is doing a wonderful job in spreading RTI .The organization i am associated with also doing the same job but we need to learn methods from you to improvise what we do.As of now we have reached atleast 15 top IT development centres (employees)with few success stories.We are not able make the people who we educate on RTI to pass on the RTI to others . Somebody could suggest a method of retaining them and drive them to do our business in turn.....:confused:

colnrkurup

I just could not follow your objective. Is it to train the trainers who can pass it on to others or you are in search of a method to retain them to do your business ? Firsttly you have to select and maintain an AIM. Secondly create a good infrastructure. Thirdly gather a high calibre, highly motivated, patient selfeless honest group of cityzens having at least some of the leadership qualities. If you achieve at least this much, things will fall into places. Wish you good luck.

hopeindiafoundation

Hi There,

Glad to see your reply.

Our foremost objective with respect to RTI is each of our workshop participant should start spreading RTI.I would need a method to continuosly track all the participants, encourage them , drive them to do the same.This would make our job easy.Your method of finding the honest, dedicated,self-drived individual is a good start but that kind of people are rare and will be limited in numbers.All I want is to make a common man speak RTI and should encourage others to use it.

If we have a method to do it atleast with 40% success(4 out of 10 individual), then we would reach the whole india at a reasonable time.

• Super Moderator
ganpat1956

We are not able make the people who we educate on RTI to pass on the RTI to others .

Don't expect everybody whom you educate on RTI to become a crusader. Only persons with the necessary mental aptitude ta take up a cause and work with a single minded dedication can do it. Therefore your task is to identify such persons first and then educate & train them. Otherwise you will end up only with people who find it fashionable to talk about RTI and stop with that.

Our foremost objective with respect to RTI is each of our workshop participant should start spreading RTI.I would need a method to continuosly track all the participants, encourage them , drive them to do the same.This would make our job easy.

I think you need to devise a system of continuous two-way reporting. From the organisation side, dissemination of information and from the members side, reporting of the events of their field work. If all of you are from the same place, you can think of holding periodical meets for this purpose and issue of bulletins on case studies and clarifications. As Colonel Saheb pointed out, let your AIM be clear and work with a missionary zeal. Never ever imagine that your job would be made easy. Along with growth, problems will also crop up. But with every such problem, remember that you also get an opportunity to solve it and become more enriched in the process.

Your method of finding the honest, dedicated,self-drived individual is a good start but that kind of people are rare and will be limited in numbers.All I want is to make a common man speak RTI and should encourage others to use it.

The founders of this portal hosted it without any advertisement, pomp or show. Most of us landed up here through a web search and all those with the right aptitude continue with our active participation as we could understand and appreciate the purpose of this portal.

If we have a method to do it atleast with 40% success(4 out of 10 individual), then we would reach the whole india at a reasonable time.

No such ready made scheme will suit every group. Let your members have a brain storming on the purpose and methodology with which you want to function instead of getting one imposed from outside. That way, you ensure full participation, commitment and team work from every member. I wish you good luck in this endeavour.

A great analysis by ganpatji & colnrkurup,

This is applicable for any social infrastructure where aim is of public good.

The bottom line with people is they are interested in themselves, find the one who self interest includes public interest.

Best wishes to sweear india.

if hopeindia can find a couple of people like abhinav then there success rate can surely go much beyond 40%.

I only want to add that one should keep faith in their dream and work tireless. Kushal has shown the way.

• 5 weeks later...

Without the effective body of implementation of RTI we may not expect the effective implementation of RTI. What the position of Judiciary the same position will be with RTI. Whenever a person trying to work with honesty, transparency and accountability he have to face so many problems and in case he is not getting supported by any agency he will discourage. We may see the position of Consumer Protection Act etc. The similiar position will be with RTI due to present working of CIC and SIC`s.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Instead of preparing big plans, I suggest that you should approach local colleges, tution class owners, local clubs/associations like lions, rotary etc, youth mandals, merchant/industry associations and hold awareness programmes for an hour or so. You can also distribute material on RTI and explain success stories. I have listed few success stories on my blog.I have prepared 14 page simple guide on practical use of RTI in english/gujarati, which if you need can be e-mailed to you.

• Moderators

You can have free services of retired persons from banks/psu and big companies who are educated and can spare time and money also for helping your cause. You can get list of retired officers/executives of banks/insurance companies by contacting retired officers association through branches of banks/insurance companies. This is an untaped resource for social work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We do not allow live email links at the forum. Also it would be better to share the booklet with all of us rather than through email. May I request you to post it via attachment here.

If in case of difficulty, let me know.

• 1 month later...
venufightsforjustice

From the essence of the original mail and subsequent clarifications, I presume that HIF wishes not only to educate people about RTI but also wants the people to carry the torch forward. However, I personally have some reservations about targetting employees of Corporates, more so in the IT sector. They are not only elite but are governed and protected by several laws of the country. There is a likelihood that there might be an element of self-containment which doesn't push people to go the extra yard.

On the contrary, the RTI should target those people who are deprived and exploited. If we are able to show some light at the end of the tunnel, I feel they will seize the opportunity quicker and firmer than others who are settled and secured.

Honestly speaking, I have been reading RTI seriously only for the past few months. I am currently trying to get the Tamil version of the RTI so that I can make a PDF file for the benefit of people who don't understand English. I am planning to circulate this file to several groups and individuals so that they should read and understand their rights with regard to matters involving them and the country.

Once I am true with this, I am willing to share it with anyone who can only understand Tamil.

Warm regards

R.Venugopalan

* I plead ignorance if my views on this subject are not comprehensive.

colnrkurup

Sorry. I could not follow the 'self continment' angle. When one reach a level of helplelessness with all other enactments, they find the solution in RTI Act. If you go through old posts, you will come across incidence where a very senior IFS officer bidding to become the Foreigh Secretary of India falling on this Act. Often an extra mm derrived through RTI Act can turn the table.

venufightsforjustice
Sorry. I could not follow the 'self continment' angle. When one reach a level of helplelessness with all other enactments, they find the solution in RTI Act. If you go through old posts, you will come across incidence where a very senior IFS officer bidding to become the Foreigh Secretary of India falling on this Act. Often an extra mm derrived through RTI Act can turn the table.

Sir,

I once again plead ignorance as I can understand that my views are not very comprehensive in this regard. I am as good or as bad as a layman but I personally believe that an Act like RTI should be used to help those who are totally helpless than those who have something to be content with. I do agree that self-containment is a very subjective term that varies from person to person. For the time being, I am just thinking about those who are at the basement.

But I am equally concerned about anyone who has a grievance that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for your useful insight in this regard.

R.Venugopalan

venufightsforjustice
R. Venugopalan,

We would be happy to port your translated tamil version of RTI Act at our sister website here: RTI India: The Complete Information and Resource Regarding Right to Information of India - home

That would be a previlege for me. I would certainly do it once I am through with the translation. Thank you for your encouragement

R.Venugopalan

hopeindiafoundation

Hi Venu,

Thanks for your interest and comments.I partially agree with you.

Since I am also an IT consultant and most of our members are from IT, the true feeling of the IT crowd is that they are willing to help people by money , material or by intellect.

Since the IT is too much seperated from the orginal world, a feeling of left out or meaninglessness is very high which is why such activities attract them most than others.

We are focusing IT crowd to educate on RTI and create contributor.

I totally agree that RTI has to reach the Indian home crying out for basic necessities & social justice.Our model is attract good professionals, use them to empower students and reach the society through students.

Any of your suggestions will be greatly valid.

Please advise on your interest towards RTI , your volunteership and the city you are located.We might need some help from you as well

thanks

Alwyn

For HIF

From the essence of the original mail and subsequent clarifications, I presume that HIF wishes not only to educate people about RTI but also wants the people to carry the torch forward. However, I personally have some reservations about targetting employees of Corporates, more so in the IT sector. They are not only elite but are governed and protected by several laws of the country. There is a likelihood that there might be an element of self-containment which doesn't push people to go the extra yard.

On the contrary, the RTI should target those people who are deprived and exploited. If we are able to show some light at the end of the tunnel, I feel they will seize the opportunity quicker and firmer than others who are settled and secured.

Honestly speaking, I have been reading RTI seriously only for the past few months. I am currently trying to get the Tamil version of the RTI so that I can make a PDF file for the benefit of people who don't understand English. I am planning to circulate this file to several groups and individuals so that they should read and understand their rights with regard to matters involving them and the country.

Once I am true with this, I am willing to share it with anyone who can only understand Tamil.

Warm regards

R.Venugopalan

* I plead ignorance if my views on this subject are not comprehensive.

venufightsforjustice
Hi Venu,

Thanks for your interest and comments.I partially agree with you.

Since I am also an IT consultant and most of our members are from IT, the true feeling of the IT crowd is that they are willing to help people by money , material or by intellect.

Since the IT is too much seperated from the orginal world, a feeling of left out or meaninglessness is very high which is why such activities attract them most than others.

We are focusing IT crowd to educate on RTI and create contributor.

I totally agree that RTI has to reach the Indian home crying out for basic necessities & social justice.Our model is attract good professionals, use them to empower students and reach the society through students.

Any of your suggestions will be greatly valid.

Please advise on your interest towards RTI , your volunteership and the city you are located.We might need some help from you as well

thanks

Alwyn

For HIF

Dear Alwyn,

It would be premature on my part to offer you any suggestions at the moment as I am relatively new to the whole concept.

At present, I have taken up the cause of employees getting exploited in the private health care sector. The inhuman conditions, lack of bare minimum social security like Gratuity, Bonus / Ex-gratia and even the violations of Minimum Wages Act. I didn't expect any arousing response from the people I know and hence I am not unduly perturbed about the response I have received so far.

I am trying to use RTI as a tool to bring out the facts and figures so that I have some sound inputs to decide my future course of action. I am in Chennai and currently collecting data about private health care centres throughout TN.

I am willing to be of any assistance to anyone in whatever ways possible. No strings attached.

Warm regards

R.Venugopalan