Many UGC recognised private universities are refusing to provide information under the RTI act by claiming that section 2(F) is not applicable to them. Many also get injunctions from courts and refuse to provide information when asked to do so via the UGC. Complaints to the CIC seem to go both ways. Examples of such universities include the Vinayaka Mission, Sikkim Manipal and Others.

The provisions of the RTI act should be applicable to all educational bodies. Any dissent should automatically result in derecognition. I think the act needs to be revised to include this provision.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DS Jolly

• Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

• sarbajit

• karira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Pl refer decision dated 31-03-2009 of CIC in Decision No. CIC /OK/A/2008/01098/SG/2550 in

Appeal No. CIC/OK/A/2008/01098/SG against NMIMS University

Mumbai - 400056

Getting the act amended is huge task. Hence we have to find out ways and means within existing act to get the information.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, please anyone guide me what to do to get information from a private university of gujarat which was already refused to five information under RTI. This university is UGC recognised.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
ambrish.p

Dear Member

Yes. Registrar is PIO of the Janardan rai Nagar Rajasthan vidyapeeth University, Udaipur. You can get your application routed via UGC also. Please check:

http://rti.india.gov.in/cic_decisions/CIC_WB_A_2010_000936_M_49013.pdf

(4th & 8th entry from the top):http://ric.rajasthan.gov.in/RICSearchResult.asp?searchyr=1&txtno=&txtappname=&txtresname=&page=674&txtHDate=

regards

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Friends,

We all know - in this competitive world, it is very difficult to secure a job.

I have come across two types of people a) those who get Ph.D. from govt universities and reputed private universities. b) those who buy Ph.D. degrees from private universities.

based on their UGC approval for usual under graduate and post graduate courses some private universities have started enrolling students for Ph.D. and some of these have even started awarding Ph.D. within 3 months of registration - as they enrol a student from back date. One such university is CMJ UNIVERSITY IN MEGHALAYA - http://www.cmjuniversity.edu.in. I have come across people who have PURCHASED Ph.D. degrees from CMJ University. So much so that entire batch of 15-20 faculty members of a university called Manav Bharti University (presently in SOLAN, HP - but planning to move to Rajasthan) www.manavbhartiuniversity.edu.in bought Ph.D. Degrees from CMJ university merely to show to UGC that Manav Bharti University has staff that is Ph.D. qualified.

My queries are:

1. Do private Universities not fall under RTI Act?

2. How can i get the list of all the faculty members {of Manav Bharti University} along with their copy of ph.d. certificates?

3. How can I get the list of students who have been awarded Ph.D. by CMJ university along with the attendance record of students (for attending the course work)?

The replies to these questions can save our country from Huge set of unfair means and corruption that prevails within these private universities for award of Ph.D. degrees. This is ruining our country's image.

Thanks.

• Super Moderator
karira

If the University is a "deemed university" it is under RTI. Not if it is only a private university.

If you are very sure about what you are saying, simply lodge a complaint with UGC and the Ministry of HRD with all the proof.

After some reasonable time, file a RTI to know the status of your complaint.

Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

Private deemed universities are also under RTI, as per the communication received from UGC vide 4-9/2007 (CPP-I) Dated.08.06.2007. It is mandatory for all the private universities to comply with all the statutory entitlements of the staffs. Under Section 4(1)(b), the total remuneration of all the employees should be displayed. They should also have a public information officer and appellate authority under RTI.

Rajan

Thanks karira,

1. How can i get proofs (e.g. how can i get the copies of the Ph.D. degrees of the entire faculty of a private university) if the university is private and if it is not covered under RTI?

2. Why private universities are not covered under RTI? specially if the degrees those they sell are used by INCOMPETENT teachers who teach our children?

thanks

Rajan,

sharing remuneration can never be an issue for any pvt. university

i am not clear if you meant - that we can seek information from pvt universities under RTI act

if so, can u please share with me the ruling or section of RTI Act that binds pvt universities to honor requests for info.

thanks

• Super Moderator
karira

You must be having suspicion based on some proof !

Use that proof available with you to lodge a complaint.

RTI will not be of any help if that is just a private university and not a deemed university.

Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

The categories under which any university in India can exist are:

a) An university established under State Act, accredited by UGC

b) An University established under Central Act, accredited by UGC

c) An autonomous institution funded by the Government and conferred a status of deemed university by UGC under the provisions of UGC act.

d) A private institution, conferred the status of deemed university under the relevant provisions of the UGC act.

e) A private institution constituted under a state act.

Hence, a private institution, having a status of a university, is that which is conferred by the UGC under the provisions of UGC act, to be a deemed university.

IT IS TO BE NOTED THAT ANY PRIVATE INSTITUTION CANNOT FUNCTION AS A LEGITIMATE UNIVERSITY ( EXCEPT FOR THE SAME BEING CONSTITUTED UNDER THE RELEVANT STATE ACT - EG. DHIRUBAI AMBANI - DAIICT GUJARAT ) WITHOUT BEING CONFERRED THE STATUS OF A DEEMED UNIVERSITY BY THE UGC UNDER THE RELEVANT PROVISIONS OF THE UGC ACT.

MOREOVER, AS PER THE RECENT RULINGS, THE STATUS OF THE PRIVATE DEEMED UNIVERSITIES ARE SUBJECT TO PERIODIC REVIEW BY THE UGC.

As mentioned in my previous post, such private institutions which is conferred the status of a deemed university are also under RTI as per the communication from the UGC vide 4-9/2007 (CPP-I) Dated.08.06.2007 from UGC.

Rajan.

Proof is the knowledge about facts.

everybody around knows that the Ph.D. degrees issued by CMJ university are fake

people who got those have never been to meghalaya - and all of us know that attending course work (first year/6 months) is mandatory - as per UGC... and as per UGC no university can have distance learning centres nor can pvt universities offer Ph.D. degree courses in part time.

but these people got degrees within 3 months or registration... and some say Manav Bharti University registered students for Ph.D. (even when they were not authorised to admit students for Ph.D.) - and now they say they will migrate (read recommend CMJ for giving those students a Ph.D. who pay them 1.5lakhs).

Great Rajan,

i appreciate your awareness.

if all that you mentioned is correct then can u please help me (by visiting the websites) if the following universities have PIOS and if these PIOs can be punished by CIC etc:

1. CMJ University, Meghalaya - http://www.cmjuniversity.edu.in/

2. Manav Bharti University - http://www.manavbhartiuniversity.edu.in/

and can u please share with me the following communication:

UGC vide 4-9/2007 (CPP-I) Dated.08.06.2007 from UGC.

thanks

sarbajit
Great Rajan,

i appreciate your awareness.

if all that you mentioned is correct then can u please help me (by visiting the websites) if the following universities have PIOS and if these PIOs can be punished by CIC etc:

1. CMJ University, Meghalaya - Official Website - University in Northeast,Industry Engineering courses India,University in Meghalaya,University in Meghalaya,Top University in India,University in India,Community College India,Industry Engineering courses India,Online courses India,

2. Manav Bharti University - http://www.manavbhartiuniversity.edu.in/

and can u please share with me the following communication:

UGC vide 4-9/2007 (CPP-I) Dated.08.06.2007 from UGC.

thanks

I am unable to locate the said UGC communication over internet. Please upload it here. Thanks.

Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

@DS Jolly

After browsing the web sites of the private universities, and if they have not appointed Public information officers, appellate authority, and have not published suo motu information under Section 4(1)b of the RTI act, 2005, then you can complain on the same to the Central Information Commission under Section 18(1) of the RTI act.

Before complaining to the central information commission, ensure that they are not constituted by or under any state act.

If they are constituted under State Act, then you have to complain to the State Information Commission.

Rajan.

Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

@DS Jolly

The university which you have referred to is a public authority under the State of Himachal Pradesh.

They have to appoint Public information officer and appellate authority under the RTI act, 2005.

They have to provide suo motu disclosure under Section 4(1)b of the said act.

You can file a complaint to the Himachal Pradesh Information commission under Section 18 of the RTI act, if they have not complied with the aforesaid requirements.

Rajan.