laks98

RTI Photcopy Charges

laks98

One of the TN State Government organizations that I had sought information for, had initially refused to give information, after persistent follow-ups. They finally agreed to give information, but in order to teach me a lesson, have been charging me exhorbitant rates:

A3 Sheets - 100 Rs per page

Blue Print - 500 Rs per sheet

Large sizes like A0 - 700 Rs per sheet

Wanted to know if this is ok.

Since only actual cost is chargable, will i be able to request for copies of receipt etc..

sharadphadke
One of the TN State Government organizations that I had sought information for, had initially refused to give information, after persistent follow-ups. They finally agreed to give information, but in order to teach me a lesson, have been charging me exhorbitant rates:

A3 Sheets - 100 Rs per page

Blue Print - 500 Rs per sheet

Large sizes like A0 - 700 Rs per sheet

Wanted to know if this is ok.

Since only actual cost is chargable, will i be able to request for copies of receipt etc..

You have not stated the department, but from the sizes you have quoted they are drawings.

Ask them to give it on a CD in autocad dwg format and one copy in dxf format. dwg is drawing format and works to check drawings and dxf is data exchange format where the data of drawing can be converted in other forms of drawings. You can check the information on any computer having autocad say builder or a technical institute.

Cost of this for getting the information on CD is Rs.50/- as per RTI rule, to my knowledge. On one CD you can get 100s of drawings, say a full road map of Tamilnadu!

Best of Luck to (bogus-?) Freedom Fighter as I do not thing your age is over 80 years. If it is yes then sorry for this remark.

jps50

Please also refer: Right to Information Act and Rules, Tamil Nadu

You can request information on CD only if it is held in computers. PIO is not bound to supply on CD if information is not held electronically.

venkat2ragavan

s, sharad's view is correct. u go with soft copy instead of hard copy. that's best one.

karira

File first appeal against these so called "actual charges".

In the meantime, viist some shops near that office and get a few written quotes from those shops about what they charge for the same job.Use these quotations in the same appeal.

File another RTI Application to the same PIO and ask for any receipts copies of documents that they have got copied in XX, YY , ZZ sizes........blueprints....

Whether they invited any quotations ?

Where and from whom do they get photocopies at these rates...

More queries on similar lines to get to the bottom of this and make the PIO realise that he has made a mistake.

Extreme Solution: If you have a digital camera, just tell the PIO to allow you to inspect the documents and during the inspection you will take photographs.

gmphadte

File a complaint u/s 18(1)-d to the Commissioner

Gajanan Phadte