Why RTI when nobody investigates scam of Rs 100 crores revealed under RTI

Friends, dont mistake me for the title. Well i am writing out of my own anguish at the way Judiciary is looking at the information filed before them pertaining to corrupt officials. Take my example. I am a Scientist with quite a good reputation and my work relates to helping fix criminals to crime.

I am a DNA analyst. My organisation (CDFD) which was set up to do DNA testing moved away from its charter and soon corrupt activities started. My organisation is managed by Dept of Biotechnology Govt of India. Well soon I was getting hearsay evidence of the corruption running into crores of rupees in which right from Secretary, Dept of Biotechnology to the purchase officer to the administrative officer to the LDC's were misappropriating Govt of India money or our money.

So braving all odds and risking my career, I began collecting all information directly under RTI under my name. The organisation had to bend down and gave all the details of the misappropriations. Being a person of medico legal background, I drafted my questions cleverly without raising any doubts in the officials. After substantial evidence got collected, I complained to Central Bureau of Investigation in 2005 November. The CBI slept over it for 2 years and ultimately informed that they forwarded my complaint to the Organisation itself or the accused themselves. Can u believe this ? But this is a fact. Then I approached the CVC, which todate has not even replied to my reminders. :(

Then I approached the Prime Minister's Office but they sent it to my Organisation and my Director took objection for approaching PMO directly. My Director wanted me to complain against him to the PMO through him and he said that in case he found merit in my complaint, he would forward it. Will any corrupt official forward a complaint against him to his superior. Height of bureaucracy ! :eek:

Then the organisation came back upon on me in full force and subjected me to all kinds of humiliations and malafide actions. I went to High Court of A P for relief against such malafide actions with all evidence, but the Hon'ble Judges heard all other matters but still have not touched my matter since last 5 years. Maybe they too feel that I deserve such treatment for using RTI.:rolleyes:

Just keep reading. These are all happening in the days when we think that RTI is going great guns. I have unearthed a scam of Rs 100 crores and the evidence is there in black and white and admitted by the accused but no agency is ready to take action on it.

Fine after completing knocking all the doors, I decided to compile a fresh complaint in Feb-Mar 2010 and filed a private complaint in the designated Court of Special Judge CBI Hyderabad. The Court heard my matter for over a month and then finding merit and evidence in my case, forwarded my complaint to the CBI Hyderabad for investigation and report under 156(3). OK. Nothing happened till August 2010. Then I approached the CBI Court to ask what happened to the complaint. Then Court forwarded a letter to the CBI to seek the status.

Please tighten ur seat belts now because what u r going to read now is going to shake u. The CBI Hyderabad on receiving the letter seeking the status from its own designated Court filed a petition in High Court of Andhra Pradesh seeking a order to quash the proceedings of the CBI Court directing it to investigate a Rs 100 crore scam committed by Scientists. Can u believe this. Usually after FIR is lodged the accused go to Court u/s 482 to quash the complaint but in my case the investigating agency itself is asking the case to be quashed on grounds of questionable authority of the CBI Court.

Now I am frustrated. Because the High Court has started adjourning my case and I know its going to gather dust and the corrupt officials may retire or leave this world before my complaint sees the light of the day.

So brothers and sisters, now tell me what should i do with the information collected by me under RTI. What use is RTI when it unearths the corruption and misappropriation but nobody is gonna act on it. Please tell me. I await ur replies and support.

Its really shocking!!

This type of treatment is generally meted out at a frivolous complaint.

I too initially thought there might be mountain made out of a mole by the drgvrao but changed my opinion when I read investigating agency went to HC for quashing of trial court proceedings. It is really astonishing.

If the investigating agency finds there is no merit in the case it can file such a status report to the trial court.

I think there must be some bigwigs involved which prompted the prime investigating agencies go so off the track.

Dear Rajub

How true u r. All the accused persons are holding high positions in Govt of India. There are two Secretary level officials, one accused is a Vice Chancellor of Central University, Two accused are Secretary grade Directors and another person who is not an accused but shielded them is a Former Union Minister of Science and Technology and presently holding another Ministry. So do u feel this Country will be able to stop this scam and recover part of the lost money !

Its really shocking!!

This type of treatment is generally meted out at a frivolous complaint.

I too initially thought there might be mountain made out of a mole by the drgvrao but changed my opinion when I read investigating agency went to HC for quashing of trial court proceedings. It is really astonishing.

If the investigating agency finds there is no merit in the case it can file such a status report to the trial court.

I think there must be some bigwigs involved which prompted the prime investigating agencies go so off the track.

• Moderators

I appreciate your courage, perseverance in unearthing corruption. I have following suggestions:

I think media and CVC [under whistleblower's protection scheme-please visit its website] can help you. Leaders of opposition party can help you. A PIL in SC will also be effective. Look at Gujarat fake encounter case. Nearly 25 police officers including IGs, DIGs are in jail since last two years. Nearly 15 more high ranking police from Gujarat, Rajasthan and AP are in queue to jail. Ex-Dy.Home Minister-cum-Justice, Law and Jail minister is in jail since last one month. His predecessor with two more IPS officers is being questioned as ordered by SC. This is all in one case.

Gujarat 2002 riots case is still being investigated and many more heads will roll down. SC has shown what rule of law means. Hence keep on keeping on. Good luck to you.

You can send a detailed petition letter [instead of PIL] to CJI, SC. Details are on website of SC.

Thanks for ur suggestion but earlier experience told me that nobody bothers about complaints at CJI. I can give reference also to my earlier complaint to CJI when two of the accused persons named in this complaint to CBI stopped me from appearing in Courts to give expert evidence.

• 1 month later...

Hi Sir,

It was nice to know that you tried to unearth the wrong happening in your department. I am a correspondent with a media house and am interested to carry this matter as a story. Please can you mail me the details or contact me over the mail....(Posting of mail ids/mob no is against RTI India - Forum Rules - hence deleted)

Only if such scams are exposed in public there will be some movement of the case. Otherwise, since the case involves lot of bigwigs and a premier scientific agency, all out efforts will be made by the govt to whitewash or bury everything under the carpet.

Hi Sir,

I am associated with media. I am interested to carry the story...If you feel it right to disclose then please scan me the RTI replies...

Hi Sir,

I am associated with media. I am interested to carry the story...If you feel it right to disclose then please scan me the RTI replies...

Thanks. What is the nature of your association with media. I have nearly 150 replies so its not possible for me to scan and send. Which media group you are working for. Please let me know.

Hi Sir,

Thank you for replying back. I am with the Press Trust of India....I do understand that it is not possible to send the 150 copies...I am with PTI DElhi and employed in the capacity of a reporter....Do tell me how to go about it....