Receipt/Acknowledgment of the RTI application submitted in post offices

rajan.srivastava

Question

rajan.srivastava

Designated Post offices are supposed to accept RTI applications on behalf of all the central government offices. I faced following issues when I approached to a couple of such post offices:

1. Post office did not issue any proper receipt. When I forced for receipt, they asked me to produce a photocopy of the RTI application and then they put their stamp on the copy. This kind of receipt have no serial number etc. Consequently, the accountability of the post office (for assured forwarding the application to the right PIO) is compromised. My question is: is there any procedure/regulation that tells how the receipt/acknowledgment shall be handed out by the post offices?

2. The RTI regulations for central government matters say that if someone does not know the department under whose jurisdiction the RTI-application should fall, the applicant can submit his application with any PIO/APIO (including post offices), and it'll be duty of that PIO/APIO to forward the application to the right PIO. Is this understanding of the regulation correct? The post office guys didn't accept my application when I said I am unsure of the targeted department!

Thanks,

Rajan

7 answers to this question

sharadphadke

My applications have gone to RBI this way i.e. within 5 days to concerned PIO. They only stamp your copy and you get a postal confirmation by ordinary post that your application is forwarded to so and so PIO.

rajan.srivastava

You are lucky! In my case I had a heated exchange with the person holding counter: he was adamant that application must be in some God-knows-what template. Whereas, as per my knowledge, for central govt issues, there's no format!

Owing to that experience, I am unsure whether that person will forward my application ahead or dump in the dustbin :(

• Moderators

Usually post office acknowledges on photocopy of RTI application and also provides a receipt of Rs.10/- if paid in cash.

The counter fellow will not dare to do so, since for delay beyond 5 days ACPIO can be penalised. You should have gone to postmaster directly since he is ACPIO under this scheme. You may send a email to post office or ACPIO of having delivered RTI application.

rajan.srivastava

Actually, the post office was taking fee only in form of Indian Postal Order.

Well, on Saturday I went to Noida (PIN 201301) post office to file another RTI application and my experience was altogether different from what I felt at Chanakyapuri, New Delhi post office.

The person holding the counter, Customer Care Manager Mr Tyagi was very friendly and encouraging in the matter of RTI. He happily accpeted the application and told that there's no provision at Post Offices for providing any receipt as of now, probably due to software issues. He told me that Noida post office sends acknowledgment cum intimation letter to the applicant and the concerned PIO via speed post; and in just one working day, I received that letter (signed by none other than Mr Tyagi) from Noida post office. Hats off to Mr Tyagi for being so friendly and prompt in his duties.

What an irony: one of the most luxurious post office of India, ie, Chanakyapuri, is handling RTI matter very casually/rudely. Whereas, Noida's congested post office is doing its duty by their heart!

Thanks RTI team.

I have a query to the RTIIndia team: can we escalate this irregularity to CIC?

sharadphadke

You are lucky now as my post office is closed on Saturday being "Central Govt." Secondly All post offices are not allowed to collect RTI applications. There is a list in pdf and in word format available on net. Just check it.

• Super Moderator
karira

I have a query to the RTIIndia team: can we escalate this irregularity to CIC?

CIC has nothing to do with any Post office accepting or not accepting RTI Applications.

You will have to make a formal complaint to the postal department itself.

There is a list in pdf and in word format available on net. Just check it.

The link for the list is available here in this article: How to submit a RTI Application - RTI Guide

rajan.srivastava

Sharad,

I have visited two post offices in last one month: Noida and Chanakyapuri-Delhi. Both were open on Saturday.

On the other hand, I am not complaining of pos office not accepting RTI-application; what I am asserting is issuance of receipt (by ppost office) carrying some serial# -- if this is enforced, the RTI process will be more hassle free....I am still unsure if Chanakyaprui post office really forwarded my application to the concerned PIO :(

What you are commenting (on how to fix the receipt-issue) may be true...

But in one of the blog/message-board, I came to know that Govt of India is not giving any money to Deptt of Posts for RTI-applications. Hence DoP may not be having any motivation for what I am suggesting.