FIle Notings

manojkumarjain

Question

6 answers to this question

dr.s.malhotra

these are notes in writing prepared by various officers at various levels in relation to any matter under consideration in relevant file . For example , a clerk puts a noting that there is a vacant post and employee may be posted there . The Assistant puts another note saying he can not be posted there . The superintendent writes another note saying he may be posted provided he fills such criteria .... Such notings tell about the process adopted in reaching a final decision . These may be obtained under RTI Act subject to exemptions u/s 8 , 9

But is there any record maintained about these notings. What if PIO says there are no notings for a file which actually has it? I think there is no file no. for these and they can be simply removed at the will of PIO. Is there any registry for nothing too like we have for normal letters.

dr.s.malhotra

Every noting is like a link in the file . If you are careful in inspecting the file , you will note a continuity of comments in file if nothing has been removed . If a noting is removed , you will find that the papers somewhere do not make sense . Every document in file has to be indexed and if Indexing is as per rules , it would be difficult to remove notings . So do photography to see the file at your home in leisure .

But you are right to a huge extent that these are generally removed as Indexing itself is either not done or is itself not available .

Though I have asked for the copies of documents several times, I have never asked for the notings.

I think I should experiment with it this time. :)

• Super Moderator

Normally, a Government file is divided into two parts - left hand side and right hand side.

One side contains all the in and out communications and other paper work

The other side contains something called "file notes".

These are notes or notings made by officers in the file which give their opinion or advice regarding matters as well as for taking action etc.

If one reads the "notings" as well as who made them, who wrote what, on what date was the noing made, etc. , most things become crystal clear clear.

The pages in every file are numbered.

Anyone going for inspection must check the continuity of page numbers.

Even by reading the file, a person will come to know if there is a break in continuity.

Check for the dates of each page / file note. That will also give a clue.

If you find something amiss, point it out immediately to the PIO and put it in writing.

I dont think anyone will mess around with the file.

But, they might tell the applicant he cannot inspect the file because it has gone "missing" !

Then you are in a different ball game altogether.

and if you want to Dig more on that file then :

file RTI application to check which all desks / designations the file has moved and who all have commented on that file,

ask also for number comments added/appended in the file and which designations has done that, go for inspection or ask for true copy.