parveensudarshan

Authenticity of photocopies supplied under RTI Act

Question

parveensudarshan

In response to a RTI Application, my nephew recently got a photocopy of a letter from the concerned PIO. He had to made first appeal as he was not satisfied with some of the points given in the reply. However, when he got the reply he was stunned to see that the PIO has sent him the photocopy of the same letter but there was some changes in that photocopy like it was marked to some officer by the senior office etc. This is one example which underline the need for the use of special stationery to be used by PIo while giving reply or while sending the photocopies.

My cousin is asking me what to do? I also dont understand this thing properly --- i think i had read somehere or it is given in the ACT itself that the photocopies which are sent by the PIO are required to be authenticated. But in this case the photocopies received in RTI reply and appeal reply are just plain copies ---these are not authenticated or even certified copies. I want to ask whether it can be pointed out to the AA or PIO ?

Second question is my cousin is apprehensive that if he points out that the photocopies of the same documents supplied twice are different, then it would not be easy for the PIO to digest it ---can they put the blame back to the applicant that he must have done manipulation in the photocopy sent earlier to "hide" those notings which, they might claim" were already there. So, my cousin and myself are in a fix --- what to do? Really, a difficult situation. NO, i have advised him not to go for second appeal to CIC because it is time consuming. Please advise, Thanks.

PS ... in this case, the reply of appeal has been sent by the PIO only -- there are no communication from the AA. Is it okay?

3 answers to this question

Dr. M. Faiyazuddin

Your apprehension is hypothetical. If the photocopy has not been attested by the PIO, he will have to explain the reason. If he refuses to have sent, you can also refuse to have received any photocopy along with PIO's letter. But such dishonesty usually does not take place. In no way you can be blamed for forging the said photocopy. How will the PIO prove it? Proceed in an honest manner and will win. Remember, truth prevails.

prasad.dhirendra

You must complain to the information comission.This is incumbent on the part of a fair information seeker.You have no grudge against the concerned P.I.O/no enimity then why some one manipulate all this.The whole episode requires to be investigated.

DineshK

PIO normally dont supply you certified copies unless you specifically mention it in your application. Since your nephew has not mentioned it, he received the un-signed copies from PIO. Remarks of an officer on the letter can not be treated as manipulation unless the content of the letter is changed or edited. A document which you have requested can be in two different files (one with and another with remarks from an officer) and it is upto PIO which one he supplies to you.

For your second query you can ask the PIO to produce both the letters/files for inspection and that will reveal all the truth.

I have some documents where PIO has erased the remark from the officers (putting whitener on them) and provided this to me duly attested by him. Can I call this letter as manipulated? Certainly NO.