bahl_ajay

Question

Recently there is an increase in the number of Government Departments using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter to help citizens out with their grievances and suggestions.

Would like to know whether the questions, suggestions posted by public and the reply/reference number provided by the concerned department or any of its authorized representatives on any such social networking sites be challenged under the RTI Act.

In the instant case I had asked the National Highways Authority of India about the applicability of toll being collected by M/s Soma Isolux on Panipat to Jallandhar stretch of NH-1 which is still under construction.

Though a reference number was provided to me no further intimation/update is being provided by the concerned department.

A link to my post is being provided here :

http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=190155864337622&id=186585148028027

8 answers to this question

dr.s.malhotra
Would like to know whether the questions, suggestions posted by public and the reply/reference number provided by the concerned department or any of its authorized representatives on any such social networking sites be challenged under the RTI Act.

RTI Act is for facilitating of supply of Information Held by PAs . You can not challenge / object to something (not relating to RTI Application , by a person who is not PIO / AA/PA) under RTI Act . There is no such provision

Dear Dr malhotra,

If you go thru my post again and have a look at the link to FB page that I have provided, it would be clear that NHAI a public authority have given me with a reference number for the complaint/suggestion posted by me.

" Your request has been forwarded to the Concerned Officers. (Toll Magnement) Ref. no is 05\feb\2011"

If one can seek the status of passport and ration card or any other pending complaint why is this rule not applicable to ref numbers being provided by these departments on social networking sites.

dr.s.malhotra

Perhaps I have not got your question right .

Do you mean to say that you want to quote the references of which have been given by the department ? Plz clarify .

I posted some comments on the profile page of NHAI on FB regarding the status of toll collection by a concessionarie on NH-1.

The same was duly forwarded by NHAI to the concerned officer and a ref no communicated to me thru that very Facebook page.

A few days have passed but no further update/reply is being provided by NHAI.

My query is that can I use RTI Act to seek clarification of my rekarks posted on the Facebook page of NHAI quoting the ref no given by them.

Atul Patankar

I am a little confused. You mean to say, there is a facebook page on which you can post your grievances about NHAI or for that matter for any authority?

I will very much like to see the page. but your link is not opening, probably disabled by our moderators. can you send it thru pm?

dr.s.malhotra

I , too am unable to see it .

I wonder how FB can be used as an official medium for such function !

But if department has approved it for official use , then you can certainly raise RTI queries giving reference of the web address . Take out the prints of the same for the pupose .

But still I am not sure whether official use for this function can be or is allowed by NHAI .

In fact if you check it , you will find that NHAI has its own website and their e-mail addresses too show the address of their own web page .

http://www.nhai.org/headofficenoemail.asp

bahl_ajay

Der All,

Though NHAI has not provided any specific reply to my query on toll collection on their Facebook page. Today they have provided the contact details of the Regional Officer looking into the NH-1 development contract.

It appears that the things are somewhat moving in right direction. Its not only acts like RTI but many Government Departments are voluntarily coming up with these innovative ideas of using Social Networking sites as a means to get close to common people.

A link to the post is being posted here.

(""http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=190155864337622&id=186585148028027&notif_t=feed_comment"")