Is Recording conversation legal or illegal?

jitendra.goswami

Question

jitendra.goswami

Hi,

I wanted to ask if recording conversation in government offices is allowed. Recording can be audio or video or both. Is it allowed or is it against law?

In case if I'm going to police station to ask them status of my complaint, can I record all conversation with them ethically? If they came to know that I'm recording the conversation, can they take any legal steps against me?

Thanks and Regards,

Jitendra Goswami

3 answers to this question

dr.s.malhotra

recorded conversations have been used as evidence in courts . I feel if I am one of the parties in conversation , I can record the conversation . Secondly if the conversation is taking place at a public place , like a public office , market place where it can be over-heard by others I believe I can record it . I can not record conversation if I am not a party to the conversation , whether telephonic or otherwise .

jetley

I think what he means is, is one legally entitled to record conversation, in which he is participating, in a government office, without the knowledge and permission of the authority of that office, or the government officer involved, and whether the concerned government office can take any legal action against him for recording the conversation outside their knowledge.

dr.s.malhotra

No , I do not think so . Revert to post #2 . If the conversation is in public place ( office ) , if you have a bonafide need to prove falsities of an officer , if you need to prove your own innocence , if you need to prove that bribe is being demanded from you or you are threatened , if you are a party to the conversation , if you have not recorded the content after provoking the other party , I do not believe it should be illegal ... otherwise how you are going to defend yourself in such circumstances and if such recordings are illegal , then why these are entertained as evidence under Evidence Act .

This is my belief , but you consult your counsel before indulging in any such thing .