Where to appeal against rejection of RTI application?

hanu

Question

Hi,

Here is my situation -

My University here at Indore (Devi Ahilya VV) has a procedure to show answersheets by paying Rs 250 per answersheet. I applied for that and they allowed me to see the answersheet. However, they refused to give me the photocopy or even take digital pictures of it.

To me, it doesn't make any sense to just eyeball the answersheet, if I am not able to make a copy and take it home or to a professor to analyze it and understand what mistakes I did. Neither can I do anything if I want to file a case against the University for negligence in evaluating the answersheet.

Anyhow, I filed an RTI application to the Univ. asking them for the photocopy and they promptly sent a rejection letter saying rules of the univ. does not permit it.

The rejection letter does not mention any appellate authority.

Now, my question is whom should I file the first appeal to???

(BTW, I checked out the faq and it gives the details of how to file the first appeal but couldn't find whom should I file it to.)

I will appreciate any inputs.

thank you,

Hanu.

7 answers to this question

• Administrators
Shrawan

Hello Hanu,

In your case, you must directly approach the CIC/SCIC under section 18 (1) as there is no mention of 1st Appellate authority.

Thanks, Kushal!

After reading the act, it seems like the first appeal has to go to an officer who is senior to the one who rejected the claim.

In this case, it was the registrar (acting as PIO), so the appeal would lie to the VC.

Just to be safe from rejecting the appliction due to lack of first appeal, I decided to file the first appeal to the VC.

Let's see what happens.

• Administrators
Shrawan

As I said before, no appeal lies with the 1st Appellate authority in case the reply is not given. The non-reply is treated as Complaint, admissible directly with the CIC under RTI Act.

As I said before, no appeal lies with the 1st Appellate authority in case the reply is not given. The non-reply is treated as Complaint, admissible directly with the CIC under RTI Act.

Right, but as I mentioned in the original post they have given a reply. They have sent a rejection letter. So there can only be an appeal and not a complaint.