Jump to content
  • 0

Gratuity Rules in Andhra Pradesh





I've worked for a private limited company for 5 years but I donot know if I'm eligible for Gratuity. My company denies that they do not have the Gratuity option where 80 employees are working. Please help me how can I find whether my company has registered under Gratuity Act or not.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0


आरटीआई India मंच में आपका स्वागत है


Private companies are not under the ambit of RTI Rules.


You can seek help from http://www.bighelpers.org

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Similar Content

    • shankerkarjee
      By shankerkarjee
      Dear Sir,
      Thanks for your esteemed innovation and popularise the common tool to common people.
      I think and experienced that many more Private Ltd/Public Limited companies flouting the rule of gratuity and denied the right of the employee who left the organization before just completing the compulsory five years.Although the Hon'ble Madras High Court and Hon'ble Supreme Court of India clarifies that after completing 4 years and 10 months, the employee is very much entitled for the gratuity and also, If an employee completed his 4 years in service and has completed 240 days in the 5th year then he is entitled for 5 years gratuity.
      Please clarify that companies not paying the Gratuity are in the ambit of RTI or not?,if yes ,whether the employees may approach?
      Being a Legal Professional ,as I understands about Gratuity are as under:
      (1) Gratuity shall be payable to an employee on the termination of his employment after he has rendered continuous service for not less than five years, -
      (a) on his superannuation, or
      (b) on his retirement or resignation, or
      © on his death or disablement due to accident or disease : Provided that the completion of continuous service of five years shall not be necessary where the termination of the employment of any employee is due to death or disablement :
      Provided further that in the case of death of the employee, gratuity payable to him shall be paid to his nominee or, if no nomination has been made, to his heirs, and where any such nominees or heirs is a minor, the share of such minor, shall be deposited with the controlling authority who shall invest the same for the benefit of such minor in such bank or other financial institution, as may be prescribed, until such minor attains majority.
      Explanation : For the purposes of this section, disablement means such disablement as incapacitates an employee for the work which he was capable of performing before the accident or disease resulting in such disablement.
      (2) For every completed year of service or part thereof in excess of six months, the employer shall pay gratuity to an employee at the rate of fifteen days' wages based on the rate of wages last drawn by the employee concerned : Provided that in the case of a piece-rated employee, daily wages shall be computed on the average of the total wages received by him for a period of three months immediately preceding the termination of his employment, and, for this purpose, the wages paid for any overtime work shall not be taken into account :
      Provided further that in the case of an employee who is employed in a seasonal establishment and who is not so employed throughout the year, the employer shall pay the gratuity at the rate of seven days' wages for each season.
      Explanation : In the case of a monthly rated employee, the fifteen days' wages shall be calculated by dividing the monthly rate of wages last drawn by him by twenty-six and multiplying the quotient by fifteen.
      (3) The amount of gratuity payable to an employee shall not exceed three lakhs and fifty thousand rupees previously now exeed the limit up to Rs.Ten Lakhs..
      (4) For the purpose of computing the gratuity payable to an employee who is employed, after his disablement, on reduced wages, his wages for the period preceding his disablement shall be taken to be the wages received by him during that period, and his wages for the period subsequent to his disablement shall be taken to be the wages as so reduced.
      (5) Nothing in this section shall affect the right of an employee to receive better terms of gratuity under any award or agreement or contract with the employer.
      (6) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), - (a) the gratuity of an employee, whose services have been terminated for any act, willful omission or negligence causing any damage or loss to, or destruction of, property belonging to the employer, shall be forfeited to the extent of the damage or loss so caused.
      (b) the gratuity payable to an employee may be wholly or partially forfeited - (i) if the services of such employee have been terminated for his riotous or disorderly conduct or any other act of violence on his part, or
      (ii) if the services of such employee have been terminated for any act which constitutes an offence involving moral turpitude, provided that such offence is committed by him in the course of his employment.
      This is for your information that if employees have not completed his 5 years, he is eligible for gratuity.
      Condition: If an employee completed his 4 years in service and has completed 240 days in the 5th year then he is entitled for 5 years gratuity.
      Section 4 of the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 provides that an employee will entitled to gratuity on completion of continuous service of 5 years and while clarifying the 5 years complete service, Andhra Pradesh Hight Court had held that the minimum period for becoming eligible for payment of gratuity should not be less than 5 years since it should be complete 5 year service. It was further clarified that the words or part in excess of six months' are only meant for the purposes of computation of gratuity for the subsequent year or years to first complete 5 years. It was also held that if an employee has worked for 4 years 11 months and 10 days, he will not be eligible for gratuity for want of completion of 5 years. Further in a subsequent case, MADRAS HIGH COURT while relying upon the clarification by the SUPREME COURT pertaining to 240 working days in one year will be deemed to be continuous service of one year meaning thereby that there should not be complete 12 calendar months' service. MADRAS HIGH COURT has further held that an employee, who has put in service of 4 Years 10 Months and 18 Days in the 5 years, will be entitled to gratuity.
      Case Ref. : Mettur Beardsell Ltd., Madras v. Regional Lab. Commissioner (Appellate Authority under Payment of Gratuity Act), Madras etc., 1998 (3) LLN 414.
    • Nirmala Singh
      By Nirmala Singh
      I have worked for more than 10 Yeras in FCS Software solutions , Noida .I was a confirmed and regular employee of the company .I resigned on 1-Jan-2010 . How much gratuity amount I am eligible for ? I have been paid only 1 lakh as gratuity. How should I proceed to complain against it ?
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy