How to frame Questions

ssraghav

Question

I want to file an application to get the whole case file against a PCS officer (UP Govt).I don't have any case number or any other particulars about this case. The only thing I know this officer have one case against him for having property more than his income since last 8-10 years. Please advise what kind of question should be asked so that officers can’t make me fool by giving some vague answer. Secondly where should I submit this application as I know it was under vigilance some time back, now should I go to vigilance department or I should approach to concerned department where this officer is posted in these days? Please advice.

5 answers to this question

1. You can file one RTI application (in the prescribed format) each in the concerned Vigilance department, and any office of the department in which he works.

2. You can seek information like -

A. Certified copy of the entire file related with inquiry of Mr. XXXX, (designationXXXX, departmentXXXX, present place of posting XXXX), having property disproportionate with his known sources of income.

B. Certified copy of all complaints on all subjects, received by offices of your department, against the above Mr. xxxx, along with action taken report on each of the complaints

C Inward numbers of all complaints received by offices of your department, against the above Mr. xxxx

D. Certified list (bearing sr. no., nature of document, its ref. no. and date, name and designation of author/signatory of the document and no. of its pages) of all documents supplied in response to this application.

Asking multiple questions leading to your desired information through different routes, will improve the chances of your acquiring the desired documents.

Time period of requested information: Last 20 years.

Best wishes

AVOID QUESTIONS ASK INORMATION

Although, it is not barred to formthe queries in the shap of questions, but these question must be directed towards some info and not to question the basis of that info.

However, one should avoid the query withe alphabet that starts with W (= who, when where, whom, why etc.) or H (how etc)

One should start with the words :

"Please supply me the information..... or

"please inform me ........

e.g., if some one has delayed the action, instead of asking "who is responsible for delay", ask "please inform me the name & designation of the person responsible to doing this". This amount to the same thing but it is in a positive sence and you are asking for the information not questioning.

Also Fabricate some ancillary queries around the main query to strengthen it.

Sajib Nandi

B. Certified copy of all complaints on all subjects, received by offices of your department, against the above Mr. xxxx, along with action taken report on each of the complaints

Jetley, please provide links to decisions of CIC to justify this request.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion. This is what I was looking for.

With Regards

1. You can file one RTI application (in the prescribed format) each in the concerned Vigilance department, and any office of the department in which he works.

2. You can seek information like -

A. Certified copy of the entire file related with inquiry of Mr. XXXX, (designationXXXX, departmentXXXX, present place of posting XXXX), having property disproportionate with his known sources of income.

C Inward numbers of all complaints received by offices of your department, against the above Mr. xxxx

D. Certified list (bearing sr. no., nature of document, its ref. no. and date, name and designation of author/signatory of the document and no. of its pages) of all documents supplied in response to this application.

Asking multiple questions leading to your desired information through different routes, will improve the chances of your acquiring the desired documents.

Time period of requested information: Last 20 years.

Best wishes