Minority institution are covered under RTI act or not

Anandkpandey

Question

Anandkpandey

Hello

I have filed a RTI university if Mumbai to seek information related to a college which is recognized by university and UGC recognized with NAAC accreditation. and they replied on my first appeal after 3 months that they can not reveal any information as they are an charitable minority institutions, I want the confirmation that weather they are excluded from the RTI act 2005 or not, & if yes then a reference to same would help.

the exact line that they quoted is

"As per section 11(1) of RTI Act, 2005 the Public information officer, is required to invite suggestion in written or orally from third party wheather the information sought be disclosed the third party. In this regard the concerned office has conveyed to the undersign that they are a charitable minority institution and are not covered under RTI act 2005. Hence we are not able to disclose the third party information"

Thanks in advance

Anand

5 answers to this question

• Super Moderator
karira

If that college is not financed or controlled by the State or Central Government, then it is not directly under RTI.

The Mumbai University can only collect that information from the college (and provide it to you) which it is allowed to do so under any other law or act in force.

Please read Sec 2(f):

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]f)[/TD]

[TD]"information" means any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force;[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So, you have to find out what information can the University collect and under which law. Then file a RTI with the university asking them to access that information and provide it to you, as per above definition of "information".

dr.s.malhotra

Your first RTI Appl should be to get the Information on " THE RECORDS THIS PUBLIC AUTHORITY IS EMPOWERED TO ACCESS AND RECEIVE FROM charitable minority institution "

Once that is known to you , you may proceed with subsequent queries .

Anandkpandey

I have know that the university can access any of the information form an recognized college as some of my known have got the information this way from a recognized college.

And filing an RTI first to get the information regarding the "information i can get" is not feasible for me, as i have got this single letter after 5 months of filing my RTI.

I just wanted to confirm that, are Minority institutions exempt or have some relaxation under RTI act, or by constitution ?

sharad kadam

My son doing S.E.chemical has given his papers for re evaluation still Mumbai University(MU) has not responded back

His exams are about to start and he's still in a fix whether to study those subjects or not!

This is not expected from such a prestigious university