orange

Reg: R.T.I. info received in a language not know to me!

Question

orange

Dear Members,

I had sought information under R.T.I. Act,2005 from the Office Of The Supdt. Of Police Noida U.P. and promptly received the information sought within 30 days of receipt of my application.

I regret to state that the information provided by the authorities is in Hindi and I do not know to read and write Hindi. Can i request the concerned authorities to resend me the information sought in English language and if so under what section of the R.T.I. Act apply to such a request? Is the P.I.O. bound to provide information sought in the language preferred by the applicant?

Regards,

Vijay.

9 answers to this question

ambrish.p

Dear Member

a. In such cases APPLICANT should always mention in application that it should be replied in English. Rules are silent on the same.

b. You may file FA and pray him to order to PIO to supply the sought info in English.

b.1. ALSO make a fresh application with note as mentioned in point (a).

c. Also read:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/1507-language-reply.html

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/87140-language-rti-reply.html

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/25050-language-providing-information.html

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/82930-language-bar-rti.html

regards

aslamkhan

If Information/Documents asked by the applicant is available in Hindi then PIO has rightly done his duty.

syedshah1983

Instead, you can take help from someone who knows Hindi.

Its not obligatory on PIO to translate any information.

dr.s.malhotra

I think views taken by Sh. Aslam and Sh. Syed are reasonable . If PIO's reply is in official language of the State or in Hindi or in English , it should be acceptable . The records can not be translated for furnishing to RTI Applicant , it is impractical . If translated , there will be problems of wrong translations / false informations . Literal Translation is an expert's job , PA s can not be expected to cater to a population of nearly 30 recognised Indian languages .

orange

THANK YOU for the valuable feedback!

code88

No, in my case the police has written a letter in hindi, no information. Just a letter. I have less knowledge on hindi. My rti application was in English. Now?

Prasad GLN

As per the guidelines issued by State/Central Government information will be provided in local official language.  It is true that those that are not well versed in Hindi, Marathi, Gujarathi, Tamil, Kannada, may not be knowing the reply provided by PIO..  But, they must make their own efforts in getting the letter translated.  In the past members used to upload that PIO response and members immediately offered the translated version, but now in this forum, members are not active and visiting as was done earlier.  There is no scope for getting such service as of now.

code88

No the issue is that, the document is a letter written by the PIO and not a document on record which had existed only in Hindi. The PIO has written a letter in a reply. Shall that letter be in the language that the RTI was submitted?

Prasad GLN

PIO can reply in Hindi, if it s a local language.  Please carefully read the reply may "not be knowing the reply provided by PIO."