Customs Import Duty in Airport for LED TV

dileepnv

Question

dileepnv

Dear Sir,

I'm an Indian Citizen working in Singapore for 4 months assignment.

I bought a 42" LG Smart LED TV with 3D in Singapore. I plan to take it to India(Bangalore Airport) by next week.

One of my colleagues who bought a similar TV took it to Bangalore and during Customs Clearance the officials calculated and told him that the amount legitimately to be paid is 14000 INR; they asked for a bribe of 6000 INR, and he had to pay it.

To avoid bribing when I take the TV home next week, kindly help me in knowing the information as to how much is the legitimate amount that I should pay for this. If they ask for more with receipt, what can I do in view of the rule/regulation?

I found in CBEC website and also from Union Budget the following:

Sec 85.6 Full exemption from Basic Customs Duty is being extended to LCD and LED TV

panels for 20 inches and above. [s. No 432 of notification No. 12/2012-Customs dated

17.03.2012 refers]

Does it mean that I do not have to pay for this? Please help.

Many thanks in advance. - Satyameva Jayate

Dileep Narayanan

Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

File an RTI application to the CPIO of CBEC giving a description of your item and ask for the certified copies of rules regarding

a) The excise duty payable for your item.

b) if no excise duty is payable, then the copy of the notification regarding the same and the date from which such notification comes into force.

Waitl till you get the requisite information for your rti application and then you can bring the item. At the airport, if the officials demand any thing, then you can show the information so obtained via RTI.

The application fee is Rs.10/- by Indian postal order in favour of the accounts officer of CBEC.

vsprajan

• Super Moderator
karira

vsprajan,

The poster says he is coming to India "next week".

There is no chance he will get a RTI reply before that.

When you land in India, do not pay bribe.

When Customs officer asks you for duty, ask him the method of calculation as well as the copy of the rules and regulations as per which he has calculated the duty amount. All customs offices located at airports are supposed to have those rules.

If he refuses to listen, ask him to call the senior most Customs officer on duty at that time.

All this is possible, if you refuse to pay the bribe.

dileepnv
AS you land in India , keep ready an RTI Appl proforma [ suitable to your subject - pre-empting problem with customs ] with Rs.10 IPO . If you face problem at clearance , immediately submit the RTI Appl seeking information on queries related to harassment and as suggested above in post 2 and 3 .

Dear All,

Thank you for the valuable information. Where do I submit the RTI form in case of trouble? Where can I get it downloaded? Usually how long will it take for the authorities to respond in case if request for info is filed with CPIO?

Thank you.

Dileep Narayanan

• Moderators
ambrish.p

Dear Dileep

a. You can make (write/type) the application on plain paper.

b. RTI fee by IPO of Rs.10/- in favour of PAY AND ACCOUNTS OFFICER, Dept. of Revenue and payable at New Delhi.

c. Time limits specified in the RTI Act - RTI Guide

d. Also refer: RTI INDIA - Your right to know - the Compete Right to Information Portal of India

regards

Madhur Nigam

Hi all,

i am in singapore and plannning to bought LED TV (newly purchased) to India. Price would be more than 25k INR. can any one help me in knowing about the custom duty on LED TV bought from Singapore to India. Quick response would be appreciated as I will be travelling 1st week of july.

Thanks & Regards

Madhur

• Super Moderator
karira

i am in singapore and plannning to bought LED TV (newly purchased) to India. Price would be more than 25k INR. can any one help me in knowing about the custom duty on LED TV bought from Singapore to India. Quick response would be appreciated as I will be travelling 1st week of july.

Your post has been merged with another thread on the same topic/subject.

Read the full thread above.

This is only a discussion portal. No one can inform you about customs duties. Refer to the Customs website.

• Moderators
ambrish.p

Dear Member

regards

After discussion with my friend who is a higher official in CISF (Airport), I get to know clearly that the (early? - before Union Budget amendment? Not sure. read the post above) allowed bracket is 35000 INR. Tax on remaining amount will come down if you stay abroad more than 3 months, also depends on your purpose of visit (ex: Govt project execution). Take a print of CBEC relevant clause, quote these info, so that the officials will come to know you are informed.

Never pay bribe; take receipt on what ever amount you pay, you owe it; do not go into argument mode, they may create havocs.

Best regards

Dileep Narayanan

Dear Friends,

Sorry for the late response.

I arrived a week back in Bglr Airport. And then the officials calculated as INR.58000/= for 42" 3D LED TV (base : duty free electronic price India) and then applied 35000 INR discount; 36.05% of import duty levied -approx to INR. 8300/=.

I paid it and obtained receipt. Before this I had shown the info I gathered from CBEC site, etc - and talked to Asst Commissioner of Customs - he clarified that provision is for PANELs, not for TVs -{ this is for mass import of panels by manufacturers }

Incidentally with this preparation, the officers behaved with mutual respect; though one of them approached for a reduced price i denied telling 'Satyameva Jayate' I would like to get the bill and am ready to pay legible amount.

P.S:

I assume, the base price calculation is done differently in each airport in India.

Also I have concerns that this model TVs are available in duty free markets ?? if so the price is INR.58000 ??

thank you all

Dileep Narayanan

daudsaudagar

hiya...

i am moving to india from uk permantly after 2 years of my study here.... i want to carry all my personal belonging with include 42 lcd, psp3 and music players and anyone guide me about customs or send me a link were the rules are...

because last time when i came back to india custom officers haress me a lot...

I plan on bringing the following items from United States :

A Laptop, A Tablet and A Digital or an SLR camera

Out of the above items what all items can be bought duty free and what will be the custom charges for the other items.

Thank You.

• Moderators
ambrish.p

Dear Member

This is only a discussion portal. No one can inform you about customs duties. Refer to the Customs website.

regards

Dear All,

In May,2012 i was traveling through Muscat-Ahmadabad. I was carrying 32" Sony LED TV. Everyone knows that there is no custom duty for 32" LED/LCD TV's. But the custom officer at Ahmadabad airport asked me 2000 Rs. bribe to let me out. When i argued and asked for the Rules and Guidelines he got angry and started creating troubles to me. He made me to open all my baggage's for checking and massed up everything. Asked me 1000 of unnecessary questions for other things which i was carrying with me in my baggage like low cost 2-3 watches, perfumes, dresses etc. value of this was around 5000 Indian rupees only. Infect most of it was gifted to me.

After wasting 2hrs inside the airport i lost my bus to my town and at the end i paid 2000 rupees to him and he allowed me to go with saying "You would have paid this before then have not suffered from this all". I was so shocked to see this DIRT of my own country. I was searching Information Counter or Helpdesk Center in the airport to get the help from them. But nothing was there.

What i mean is, there must be some information centers where this all RTI appeals or Complains there itself in the Airport. Basic thing which we need to understand is peoples who are suffering from this kind of situations are working in abroad and coming to Indian on vacation or to see the relatives. They hardly stay in India for 30 days. Now where they will find time to go to RTI, Anti Corruption and Consumer Affairs. Even if they a visited the same they will not get the result / answer even in the time they are in India.

I strongly suggest there must be Information / Helpdesk counters open in the International Airports to avoid crimes and bribes. If that is not possible then at list can a 24hr Hotline services where we can get the information or complain against the same at the Airport itself. I am sure this will help a lot to stop this all unnecessary harassment to the innocent peoples.

I request everyone to support on this with your likes. Thank you...

Ashok Kandoi

Dear Sir,

I am plan to bring 42" Inches LED LG TV to india from Qatar. What will be the Custome Duty i have to pay.

Regards

Ashok Kandoi

• Super Moderator
karira

This is only a discussion portal on the RTI Act 2005. No one can inform you about customs duties. Refer to the Customs website.

dear sir,

my self i found that when ever flyght come from GCC ( dubai , saudi , baharin , oman ) the police man on duty in lucknow airports they ask for money openly for electonic item lick 32' TV ( price is 1400 AED or $500 ) why gorvrment is not desplay a list show the costum duty on electronic item so it will be cleare for evry body. there is

Prasad GLN

You may write to Both Customs dept., and Air Port authority to pay duties to Govt., as a duty of citizen and not to encourage corruption through underhand payments, and feel free to complain of such dealings through a toll free No.

File an RTI Application:

1.Name of Public Authority: PIO, Lucknow Airport Authority.

2.RTI Fee: Rs.10/-

3.Name of Applicant: Name and address.

4.Brief Facts: Evasion of customs duty/electronic items/illegal payments.

5.Information solicited:

a. Please inform the procedure followed for checking the electronic items brought with passengers prescribed duties have been paid.

b.Inform supervisory/control mechanism adopted by you for cross checking evading of such duty.

c. The instances that were reported earlier and action taken against officials that are responsible for revenue loss.

d. The number of boards/brief information displaying s on some important items and duty fixed on such items

e. The display of toll free number boards for making complaints against officials.

f. Any camera footage is being done to cover each and every passengers that arrive with electronic goods/heavy luggage as a primary step to cross check.

Place

22nd Oct, 12 Applicant.

• Super Moderator

Customs duties for luggage accompanying passengers are available on the Customs website.

kunalbondre

Hi!

I intend to buy a 40/46' LED TV from Dubai and bring it to India. Please let me know the basis for custom duty calculation and way to go about it so that I don't end up paying higher duty.

Also let me know if I can file an RTI application in this regard?

Regards,

Kunal

Yogi M. P. Singh
Hi!

I intend to buy a 40/46' LED TV from Dubai and bring it to India. Please let me know the basis for custom duty calculation and way to go about it so that I don't end up paying higher duty.

Regards,

Kunal

You may seek aforesaid information from near by central excise office through its CPIO under subsection 1 of section 6 of Right to Informatio Act 2005. Please take a glance of following links-http://http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to-use-your-right-to-information-4/how-to-write-an-rti-application-1/http://http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to-use-your-right-to-information-4/formats-for-application-first-appeal-second-appeal-84/http://http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to-use-your-right-to-information-4/how-to-locate-a-pio-under-rti-act-2005-27/http://http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to-use-your-right-to-information-4/how-to-submit-a-rti-application-16/
  • Super Moderator
Hi!

Regards,

Kunal

Your post has been merged with another thread on the same subject/title. Please go through all the posts in the threads as well as the links given in some of the posts.

(There are many pages in the thread !)

I am on a holiday in Singapore with my family (4 persons).

I intend to look for a good deal and buy a LED Smart TV of 40 /42 /44 inch screen size.

I want to know the following:

1. Is the custom duty payable on the value of goods over the minimum exempted amount?

2. Is the exemption of Custom duty applicable on the tour-party or individually? Consequently, if the total-value-of-goods is less than the total-exemption-allowed to the tour-party, will no custom duty be payable?

Thanks,