Bangalore Road Tax and Penalty

varghesepaulk

Question

varghesepaulk

Hi All

I was recently apprehended by Bangalore RTO and have been asked to pay penalty of Rs. 20,000/-. Could someone help me out on how to calculate the penalty ?

Regards

Varghese Paul

2 answers to this question

• Super Moderator
karira

First check the Bangalore RTO website.

If you do not find the information there, then check the Motor Vehicles Act for Karnataka and the Motor Vehicle Rules.

If you still cannot find the information, then file a RTI application with the Transport Commissioner of Karnataka.

varghesepaulk

That's what I plan to do. I have my RTI query ready which I'll be sending to the PIO. I just wanted to enquire if someone knows the rate of penalty.

This is the calculation as provided by the RTO officer. If someone can verify this, it would be great.

You can calculate road tax using the below amendment to the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation Act http://rto.kar.nic.in/kmvtsecond.pdf. On the tax, you need to calculate cess of 11%. The penalty is calculated as 1% of the total of road tax + cess amount for "every month the vehicle has been used in Karnataka".

Note that the interpretation of how long you've used the vehicle in Karnataka depends on the documents you possess like pollution certificate, insurance and the statement you give to the RTO officer.