RTI information for getting bank account information

harshalakeni

Question

My father dies recently and i am the only one legal heir behind him. my father has a joint account with his sisters where he is the first holder. all money pertaining to my father's account is of my father as his sisters has not earned a single penny in their lifetime. so my query is can i get the details of his bank account and bank account statement through RTI? if yes what i the procedure?

9 answers to this question

• Moderators

You can get details of this joint account provided it is a public sector bank and you have documentary evidence like PAN card or driving licence, election card etc which shows your identity and name of father. You may use following links:

Central Govt. application:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/19-rti-application-central-govt-info.html

Make effective:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/93-how-make-rti-application-effective.html

Word Limit: Since there is limit of 500 total words [excluding both addresses and annexures] for Central Govt information, you may submit more than one application to cover all the queries and mail in one envelope.

Pl put following note in RTI application:

1.I am attaching certified copy.of my identity viz PAN card/driving licence/voter card

2. My father Shri ________ expired on ______ and I attach certified copy of his death certificate.

3. I am one of the heirs of above deceased.

4. Please refer decision No.CIC/SM/A/2009/000187 dated 15-12-2009 and CIC/SM/A/2009/000419 dated 15-02-2010 where heirs have been provided information regarding accounts of deceased.

• Moderators

You have to send to Bank. Most of banks have designated their branch manager as ACPIO under RTI in which case you can deliver RTI to branch head where you are having account by addressing RTI to "Br.Head/ACPIO, ____ BANK ______Branch.or send by regd ad post. You may amend RTI application to suit your case. If you are handing over personally, you may word column 4 as "Filing fee: Cash of Rs.10 is paid to ACPIO". If you are mailing by post, enclose postal order in the name of bank. Obtain dated acknowledgement of branch manager on photocopy of RTI application with bank seal.

Please inform name of bank for further guidance.

Thanks for valuable inputs, name of banks are idbi and canara bank. so by RTI application. my next question is for how long period a bank can provide a bank statement of the deceased account under RTI application.

• Moderators

Canara Bank and IDBI Bank have designated their branch heads as ACPIO under RTI Act and hence you can submit at any branch of these banks. You will save on postal expenses and delay. Bank is supposed to reply RTI within 35 days + 5 days for postal time from the date you deliver to branch.

my father expired 10 months back and we dont no anything about his bank accounts  and assets.how can i find his account details  ??will it help if I ask for  RTI ?

You have to first obtain a legal heir certificate from Tehasildar and basing on death certificate and legal heir certificate ask banker to provide details of such bank account, listing nature of accounts

This is the laid down procedure if you know the specific number and have evidence of pass book or deposit receipts.

In absence of these essential documents, it is impossible to find out the specific bank, and account number.

Application has to be made to a specific authority that is having custody of that information in a material form.

All the doors are permanently closed, bolted and locked for that information under RTI Act.

please find out with his friends or relatives or from his papers.  The depositor is bound to maintain a pass book or statement or receipt from that bank where he kept his savings.

in other countries there is search facility to locate account if your a heir so please check if that is thee in India too.

A good match of a combination of your father's name and address would establish his account so specify both in your query. This is what someone I know is pursuing. FYI

The in-operative accounts for more than 10 years, or other accounts after maturity has to be transferred to Govt of India.  Then Govt uploads such unclaimed accounts and the member has to wait for 10 years from date of maturity .  That is not practicable.

There is a short cut to approach UIDAI, that issues AADHAR CARD.  Under KYC all accounts are linked to AADHAR by every bank in India.  The affected member may approach to the authority with original death certificate and original legal heir certificate seeking such information under RTI Act for providing all that information linked to such AADHAR CARD.  There is on line service also and it takes Rs.10/- as RTI fee to make such attempt.