RTI for Conversion Certificate Number

triedeverything

Question

triedeverything

I recently purchased a house in Kodagu. I stay and work in Bangalore. I took a loan with SBI Virajpet and went through their 'empaneled' lawyer for a legal opinion. He said his fees would be 10,000 rupees. When it was nearing time to register the property (same day the loan was disbursed), the lawyer (along with the sub registrar's office) insisted on the conversion certificate number. Now the house that I bought is part of a complex that has three floors. There are about 5 houses of which 2 are already registered. The original owner (of the entire building) had taken a loan to build the house. The land was converted then. Now my question is if two of the houses that are part of the same complex on the same plot of land, were registered, why did the sub registrar and the lawyer insist on the conversion certificate? Finally we had to cough up another 15 K under the table to get the house registered. We had already made several trips from Bangalore and were fed up with this 'natak'. Besides, the property had changed hands several times and was not registered. So the last registered owner had to be called from Kerala. The lawyer knowing about all these constraints came up with this ruse to fleece us. The lawyer said they had used a 'dummy' number to register it and that we can change it once we get the conversion number from the DC/AC office. I don't believe this can be done.

Can I send an RTI to find out what the conversion number is? Do I send it to the sub registrar office? What questions should I ask. Kindly help!

I fail to understand how SBI can empanel such cheats as their lawyers. What action can I initiate on that front as far as RTI is concerned. I don't see how each lawyer can demand whatever rate he feels like. This was outright Day-light robbery!

7 answers to this question

triedeverything

No one has an answer :(

I understand that if I send the question to the PMO office, they will have to forward it to the right department?

• Super Moderator

You have to file the RTI application with the PIO of the office which gives that conversion number. If it is the sub registrar's office, then PIO of that office.

Please remember that RTI is only meant for getting "information" and not for taking action against anyone. Pleas read Sec 2(f), 2(i) and 2(j) of the RTI Act 2005.

triedeverything
You have to file the RTI application with the PIO of the office which gives that conversion number. If it is the sub registrar's office, then PIO of that office.

Please remember that RTI is only meant for getting "information" and not for taking action against anyone. Pleas read Sec 2(f), 2(i) and 2(j) of the RTI Act 2005.

I found this website when searching for a PIO - Inspector Genaral of Stamps and Registration. However, there's no such post mentioned on it. So I'm not sure how to get an address or a name to write to.

I understand that I will be getting only information. It's with this information that I will approach SBI to take action, based on what their 'empaneled' lawyers are up to.

Yogi M. P. Singh
I recently purchased a house in Kodagu. I stay and work in Bangalore. I took a loan with SBI Virajpet and went through their 'empaneled' lawyer for a legal opinion. He said his fees would be 10,000 rupees. When it was nearing time to register the property (same day the loan was disbursed), the lawyer (along with the sub registrar's office) insisted on the conversion certificate number. Now the house that I bought is part of a complex that has three floors. There are about 5 houses of which 2 are already registered. The original owner (of the entire building) had taken a loan to build the house. The land was converted then. Now my question is if two of the houses that are part of the same complex on the same plot of land, were registered, why did the sub registrar and the lawyer insist on the conversion certificate? Finally we had to cough up another 15 K under the table to get the house registered. We had already made several trips from Bangalore and were fed up with this 'natak'. Besides, the property had changed hands several times and was not registered. So the last registered owner had to be called from Kerala. The lawyer knowing about all these constraints came up with this ruse to fleece us. The lawyer said they had used a 'dummy' number to register it and that we can change it once we get the conversion number from the DC/AC office. I don't believe this can be done.

Can I send an RTI to find out what the conversion number is? Do I send it to the sub registrar office? What questions should I ask. Kindly help!

I fail to understand how SBI can empanel such cheats as their lawyers. What action can I initiate on that front as far as RTI is concerned. I don't see how each lawyer can demand whatever rate he feels like. This was outright Day-light robbery!

Hon'ble member-You can seek the aforesaid information from PIO of public authority concern under subsection 1 of section 6 of Right to Information Act 2005 with request to made available sought information at the earliest if not possible, within stipulated time as specified under subsection 1 of section 7 of Right to Information Act 2005.For address of PIO

http://http://www.rtiindia.org/directory/index.php First you collect evidences through application under Right to Information Act 2005 then submit it before appropriate authority for action. THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT, 2005

No. 22 OF 2005

[15th June, 2005.1

An Act to provide for setting out the practical regime of right to information for citizens to secure

access to information under the control of public authorities, in order to promote transparency

and accountability in the working of every public authority,

sharmajee

I refer you back to the post by Mr Karira. I suggest you hire a competent lawyer to adequately address this issue as a first line treatment and use RTI as a second line treatment.....

triedeverything
I suggest you hire a competent lawyer to adequately address this issue as a first line treatment and use RTI as a second line treatment.....

Another lawyer! Unlikely :)

I'd appreciate it very much if someone can help me find the PIO I need to send this to.

• Super Moderator

The State Public Information Officers (SPIO)

under RTI Act 2005

Office of the Sub Registrar

(Address)