Information of Ration Card

tej_ps

Question

Hi,

I want to know who is elder between my wife and her brother. Actually till now I was told that my wife is younger. I need this information to protect myself from their false case. I think if I will get the information about their Ration card it would be sufficient to prove who is elder. Ya this ration card is in Patna Bihar

Regards

Tej

5 answers to this question

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya

> You can file a RTI Application with the appropriate authority where the required evidence is likely to be available e.g. ration card issuing authority, passport authority, municipality from where the birth certificate could have been issued, or any other such authority ..

> Your RTI Application will have to be as per Center / State RTI Rules (Central Govt. Rules if you are applying to passport authority and the respective State Govt. Rules if you are applying with the concerned Municipality), please refer to the following link for the same:

> Also, please refer to the following link:

498a Guide:

Ration card is identity proof/ address proof and not age proof. Age proof is either Birth and death Register, SSC certificate etc.,

Hello Sir,

I just want to know who is elder between these 2 brother and sister.. Do you think Ration Card will help. I feel that sister is younger and some manipulation is done to show brother is 8 months younger.

Prasad GLN

The reply is clear. Simply because the ration card shows different ages, it can not be accepted in evidence. The evidence in age proof must be birth certificate (of School or Municipality)

If you are aware of the correct date of birth of your spouse, then hunt for her brother's certificate.

There are several instances in the Country where DOB registered in service register were also disputed for extending service, and it was usual in the past to give DOB to suit the convenience for taking up SSC examination. Even this can be disputed.

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya
The reply is clear. Simply because the ration card shows different ages, it can not be accepted in evidence. The evidence in age proof must be birth certificate (of School or Municipality)

But, in the absence of easy accessibility of other proofs, a photocopy of the Ration Card obtained under RTI, can serve as a very good corroborative evidence for the purpose.

Thereby transferring the onus (burden of proof) on the other side, to prove that the age given in their own ration card is incorrect , and in a bid to so, the other side will themselves have to come forth with primary evidences such as their birth certificates etc. for the purpose of overruling the corroborative evidences presented before the authorities.